Bob, that sounds fully reasonable to me.

The way I see it, old PDB files used to have just uppercase chain IDs
and in many old scripts we just got used to use lowercase. When some
Upper+Lowercase PDB files started, set chainCaseSensitive appeared so
the user could cater for those and still the legacy default was kept.

> (1) If files loaded have no lower-case chain labels and all are
> single-character, match them as always, based on the setting of
> chainCaseSensitive; default for which is FALSE:

OK

> The idea is that the original idea of chainCaseSensitive was to allow
> ":a" to match "A" in a PDB file, not so much to allow ":A" to match
> "a" in the PDB file.
>
> Correct?

Yes

> (2) If any one of the current files loaded has lower-case chain
> characters or multi-character chains, then it seems to me Jmol should
> disregard the setting of chainCaseSensitive and just consider its
> value to be TRUE.

OK
Or maybe instead of ignoring the setting, force change it to true?
That way if can be verified  "show chainCaseSensitive"

Thank you!