Am 25.01.15 00:13, schrieb Derek Ng:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to create a web application that will allow the user to use a
> ‘selection box’ mechanism to select residues in the JSmol viewer, but am not
> sure how to implement this. Would this even be possible? Any help or
> suggestions is definitely appreciated.

Derek, please explain what you actually mean by 'selection box mechanism'.

If you look for example at our 'Jena3D Viewer'
http://jenalib.fli-leibniz.de/cgi-bin/3d_mapping.pl?CODE=1deh&APPLET=html5
there are implemented several options for a user to change the currently
selected atoms, either explicitly or implicitly:

1) In the 'Atom Selection' section there is a dropdown menu for
selecting predefined parts like 'protein' or 'chain A'.

2) In the 'Script' section the user can enter any selection command, for
example "select atomno>10 and atomno<20".

3) More PDB entry specific options are available in the second main
part, for example after opening the 'Sites' section. There you can use
the dropdown menu for selecting (and rendering specifically) individual
sites. Or you can walk through each site using the arrowhead buttons
('<','>'). Or you can modify the behaviour by using the 'env' button to
add the environment of the site to the selection (and rendering).

4) Near the top of the interface you can switch to the "Advanced
Interface". This will add additional buttons and change the
'single-step' mechanism of the 'Basic Interface' to a 'two-step'
mechanism. This means that you now first select the element (atoms) you
want to work with and in a second step actually do something with it. By
this the 'selection' is separated from the 'action' and the user gets a
very fine-grained control, including boolean operations like 'add',
'subtract' and 'intersect'.

To help keeping track of the currently selected atoms there is the
checkbox 'show selected part' near the top of the interface. If
activated each selected atom is marked by a so-called "selection halo".

Regards,
Rolf