Hello

I have previously made brief reference to our efforts to develop a tool for
Jmol-enhanced figures in IUCr journals, and the project is now well
advanced. The idea is to allow authors to create supplementary figures using
Jmol applets, at the same time creating a static image of the initial
molecular view for publication in the hard-copy journal.

The problem is that the static image is of low resolution. If an applet
sized 400x300 pixels is created, which looks fine on a 100 dpi monitor,
it creates a pixelated illustration when printed "same size", or a very
small illustration if printed at a suitable dpi resolution.

A possible workaround is to postprocess the interactive graphics
script by scaling the dimenasions up; e.g.

  # possibly print 3 x screen dimensions for higher resolution
  my $outwidth  = 3 * $width;
  my $outheight = 3 * $height;
  print JMOL qq( write image $outwidth $outheight "figure.png");

(where $width and $height are the (known) dimensions of the applet) will
create an effective resolution of 300 dpi. This scaling works nicely for
the geometric objects (and produces excellent results with the recently
introduced antialiasing facility). But lines (e.g. bounding boxes,
unit-cell axes) and labels are more problematic, since I don't necessarily
know what their dimensions and font sizes might be.

Would it be possible for Jmol to emit images scaled to any arbitrary
user-requested factor? Alternatively, are there internal variables that
can be accessed to allow scaling of font sizes, line widths etc?

Thanks
Brian