Hi All,

I am trying to render the electrostatic potential surfaces for the 20
individual amino acids, to illustrate the differences in side chain
polarity. (Ultimately, I will be showing partial surfaces, over the
side chains only.)

I have some mol2 files of zwitterionic amino acids containing the EPS
values. The highest EPS value in each file is 0.2751 and the lowest is
-0.6478 (or -0.6464, which I take to be a negligible difference).
These values are for the charged amines and carboxyls, and my thought
was that they would set a good absolute scale for showing the
differences in polarity between the side chains. (This will be
particularly important when I render the isosurface over the side
chains only, otherwise I will get relative coloring that will make the
nonpolar side chains look similar to polar side chains.) Using a red-
white-blue color scheme, then, I expect that nonpolar side chains such
as valine should come out with very faint red and blue, whereas
charged side chains such as aspartate should have significantly deeper
colorings.

When I use the command
isosurface colorscheme "rwb" sasurface 0.1 color range all map mep
the results make perfect sense if I am looking at the surface of the
entire amino acid, but once I restrict it to the side chain, the
relative coloring I don't want (as above) is the result.

So to force the range to be absolute, I am using the command
isosurface colorscheme "rwb" sasurface 0.1 color range -0.6478 0.2751
map mep
Because these are the highest and lowest values in the files, I'd
expect the charged groups to show up as bright red or blue, and
nonpolar areas to be faint. However, I am not getting the results I am
anticipating. Aspartate's surface has only faint colors, and valine is
actually a medium shade of blue. I don't get it.

color range -0.6478 0.2751; mapped data range -0.26758346 to 0.03863874

and this for Val:
color range -0.6478 0.2751; mapped data range -0.19274539 to 0.16532882

What does the mapped data range refer to? The numbers seem to
correspond with the colors I am seeing, but do not correspond to the
eps values in the file.

I've also tried using "... color absolute -0.6478 0.2751 ...", which
seems to give the same effect. I've tried using fewer decimal places,
and experimented with different absolute ranges, but I don't want to
choose something arbitrary.

Am I misunderstanding what "color range/absolute x.xxx y.yyy" should
be doing? Is there a way to get the coloring for "color range all" but
only show the surface for the side chains?

Frieda

Frieda Reichsman, PhD
Molecules in Motion
Interactive Molecular Structures