On 6 Nov 2013, at 08:45, Angel Herráez <angel.herr...@uah.es> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I fully agree with Henry's considerations. This might be a nontrivial
> issue for the future of Jmol.
>
> On the other hand, I also hope that things may be simpler, as Nico is
> presenting them.
> I would not like to give up using the applet!

The pre-eminent reason  (IMHO) for continuing to use the  applet is its speed.
We display many surfaces, often with millions of polygons.  This can take  1-2
minutes to render using JSmol.

I wonder if anyone has developed any standard benchmark tests for the two
codes?  That way, we can track if eg  Javascript engines are catching up with
the compiled  Java.  Volunteers please!

I am old enough to remember when Xmol (which came before  Jmol)  was considered
far far to slow to render proteins.  It was Roger Sayle, working with  David
Blow (a protein crystallographer) who overturned the accepted wisdom that to
display a protein you need an  (eye-wateringly expensive) Evans  and
Sutherland hardware solution. Rasmol emerged out of that, and if it taught us
anything, it was that well written code could in fact entirely replace that
expensive E&S system. Roger’s tour-de-force was to show that EVEN spacefilled
proteins could be rotated in real time using Rasmol.  That was truly
astonishing at the time (~ 1995).

So perhaps JSmol could be tuned  (along with the  JavaScript engine) to do the
same.  But not I fancy for a year or two?