Jmol users,

I finally took a look at how 3D printer formats WRL and STL work and what
it would take to get them working in Jmol. It turns out, not too much! The
key with WRL is to not use high-level objects such as built-in standard
VRML 2.0 Cone, Cylinder, and Sphere nodes. Once those were dispensed with,
it was simple enough to implement both STL binary (Jmol default) and STL
ASCII (*set debug TRUE*) options. So, Jmol now can be used to produce color
(WRL) or monochrome (STL) 3D printer input files.

(Note that *write xxx.STL *is only implement in the Java version of Jmol in
this release. The next release will also implement it in JSmol/HTML5, but
I'm not sure that would be recommended anyway; these files can get very
very large, and it is not clear that that they can be successfully
delivered in JavaScript.)

A few additional bug fixes, and it seemed appropriate to go to a new
subversion, 14.6.4.

Bob

new feature: 3DPrinter-compatible VRML and STL writing.
  -- mesh only; does not use high-level objects Cone, Cylinder, Sphere
  -- extensive use of D EF and USE for small-footprint VMRL files
  -- STL is binary generally, but will be ASCII using SET DEBUG TRUE
  -- write t.wrl
  -- write t.stl

bug fix: COD CIF files have mixed-lower case atom labels (H5a) in bonds
def, causing Jmol to miss bonds.
bug fix: rogue System.out.println for text rendering.
bug fix: print compare({1.1}, {2.1}, "MAP", "H") broken in 14.6.0_2016.06.14
bug fix: Google Closure Compiler not set up for UTF-8 encoded language
class, used in pop-up menu.

Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900