I have been using jmol-14.2.9_2014.11.23 to make electrostatic potential maps.
[See: http://ursula.chem.yale.edu/~chem220/chem220js/StudyAids.html#ESP]

I use Gaussian to generate cube files. I open jmol.jar>console and type:

$ isosurface cutoff 0.02 filename_den.cub map filename_esp.cub
$ write isosurface filename.jvxl

All is well.

I downloaded jmol-14.6.4_2016.10.02

The console does not appear to work properly. If the line $ isosurface cutoff
0.02 filename_den.cub map filename_esp.cub is added, blue text appears with
cutoff 0.0.

Typing $ write isosurface filename.jvxl gives only a return of the prompt $. No
jvxl file is written. Multiple entries do not work. Jmol.jar must be closed and
reopened to make an entry. Still no positive result.

I have taken jmol.jar from jmol-14.2.9_2014.11.23 and put it in
jmol-14.6.4_2016.10.02. It works but places the file in the former Jmol folder.
I can redirect the jvxl file with write isosurface /Users/…/filename.jvxl.

But this not an advantage.

Is there a problem with jmol.jar in mol-14.6.4_2016.10.02?

Thanks for your help, Fred Ziegler