Henry

   I just checked the most recent Safari Developer Preview (32), running under
Sierra.
        Release 32 (Safari 11.0, WebKit 12604.1.23.0.4)

   Java is supported. I’ve sent you two screenshots showing this.

   I provide this only for clarity. I share your concern that Apple may very
well ban Java in the near future. And with good reason...

Best regards

Craig

PS - I am very impressed by JSMol on my Mac - I have a very large and complex
protein and it zips along! So as soon as I catch up on porting things to JSmol,
I’ll be happy to see Java support go away.

      (sadly, JSmol is not so fast on my iPad Pro…)