CONCERT FOR NEW YORK
Madison Square Garden
Oct. 20, 2001

Richard Gere's comments, from the VideoTape:

"Hi New York.

I just hope Clemens wins tomorrow -- that's all I care about.  This is,
this is, this is something I think we're all going to remember for the
rest of our lives.  This is the moment when we needed to be healed.  And
when music showed us the way.  Music does what it does best, it helps us
to heal.  And I think in this situation right now, when, when we have
the possibility of taking this energy -- this horrendous energy that
we're
all feeling -- and the possibility of turning it into more violence and
revenge -- we can stop that.  We can take that energy and turn it into
something else -- we can turn it into compassion, into love, into
understanding. (crowd boos)

That's apparently unpopular right now, but that's alright.

My friends right now are the cops, the firemen, the emergency workers.
Those are the ones who don't ask if you're a good guy or a bad guy if
they're going to save you.  They don't ask what your religion is when
they save you.  They just do it because it need to be done. (crowd cheers)

That's the heart that I'm talking about, that's compassion, that's
the real thing.  That's what we all need to aspire to.  Before introducing
our final New York film tonight, I just want to remind you to call the
number on your screen or go to the Web address to donate to the New York
Fund.  And if you haven't given anything yet, now's the time to do it.
Just call up and make your donation.  Now if you've already given -- see
if you can dig into your pocket a little more -- cause it's really needed
now.

In the midst of our grief for the lives that were lost on September 11th,
many voices have emerged to help us understand the meaning of this tragic
and historic event.  Among the most poignant is that of Ric Burns whose
epic series on PBS "NEW YORK: A DOCUMENTARY FILM" aired its final episode
just two weeks after the tragedy.  People most needed it to restore a
vibrant vision of New York to our national consciousness.

"NEW YORK: A DOCUMENTARY FILM" celebrates the richness and diversity
of America seen through the lens of its greatest city, New York City."

(End of Richard Gere's comments, film excerpt is then shown)

for now ~ take care,
-------
  simon
-------

        they sin by their silence ... when they should have spoken out.

        A. Lincoln