I see you ended up using a different solution altogether. I ended up doing
the following, which I am posting for anyone else that finds themselves
facing this ridiculous problem, which I have no doubt will be a great many
people over time:

1) replaced all linefeeds in tableData array with a delimiter __NEWLINE__
(BEFORE inserting into spreadsheet otherwise it will convert them to
text:line-break and you will be SOL)
2) got document*.getContentDocument
<http://www.jopendocument.org/docs/org/jopendocument/dom/ODDocument.html#getContentDocument%28%29>*
() and wrote recursive function that accepts it to loop through entire
document DOM
3) upon encountering a table-cell element:
3a) grab all content inside the cells <text:p> element
3b) split content on the newline delimiter into a String[]
3c) Loop through String[],
3d) If String[idx].length > 1 (contained a newline) remove the paragraph
then add new paragraph element for each String[idx]   (your idea thank you)

tip: avoid iterators or you will run into ConcurrentModification exceptions

This ridiculous work-around took me several hours to code out for what
seems like a very basic functionality. Also fun explaining to my boss why
it took me 2 days of work to get a linefeed to display correctly in a
spreadsheet cell... priceless.

If anyone finds a better solution, please share.

--

---