I am forwarding this as a matter of duty in patriotism.
So many ethical issues to ponder.
Please read, read and read.

 I think we ought to have moved beyond this in Nigeria.

This a food for thought

Here is a speech by a rare gem, it has altered the thinking of many Nigerians
including myself. Enjoy!
Please if you write a silly book, don’t invite Sanusi Lamido Sanusi to make a
presentation. I guess Olaniwun Ajayi has learnt from this. Sanusi faults
Olaniwun Ajayi on Northern domination. The Central Bank Governor, Sanusi Lamido
Sanusi, surprised guests present at the Muson Centre for the launching of the
book of Sir Olaniwun Ajayi at the Muson Centre in Lagos. The book titled: ”
Nigeria , Africa ‘s failed asset?” attracted many important dignitaries,
intellectuals and some governors. The argument by discussants centered on
whether ornot the colonial masters laid the foundation for the problems Nigeria
is currently facing. Many argued thatthe British loved the North and that was
why it gave more than 50 percent of the National Assembly seats to the North at
independence.Sanusi, however, stole the show when he spoke. His speech was
anchored on the plank that the British andNigerian rulers are responsible for
the state of the situation Nigeria
 finds itself today.Below is his unedited speech.
“Let me start by saying that I am Fulani (laughter). My grandfather was an Emir
and therefore I represent all that has been talked about this afternoon. Sir
Ajayi has written a book. And like all Nigerians of his generation, he has
written in the language of his generation. “My grandfather was a Northerner, I
am a Nigerian. The problem with this country is that in 2009, we speak in the
language of 1953. Sir Olaniwun can be forgiven for the way he spoke, but I
cannot forgive people of my generation speaking in that language.“Let us go
into this issue because there are so many myths that are being bandied around.
Before colonialism, there was nothing like Northern Nigeria, Before the Sokoto
Jihad, there was nothing like the Sokoto caliphate. The man from Kano regard
himself as bakane. The man from Zaria was bazazzage. The man from Katsina was
bakatsine. The kingdoms were at war with each other. They were Hausas, they
were Muslims, they were killing
 each other.“The Yoruba were Ijebu, Owo, Ijesha, Akoko, Egba. When did they
become one? When did the North become one? You have the Sokoto Caliphate that
brought every person from Adamawa to Sokoto and said it is one kingdom.They now
said it was a Muslim North. “The Colonialists came, put that together and said
it is now called the Northern Nigeria. Do you know what happened? Our grand
fathers were able to transform to beingNortherners. We have not been able to
transform to being Nigerians. Thefault is ours. Tell me, how many governors has
South West produced after Awolowo that are role models of leadership?How many
governors has the East produced like Nnamdi Azikiwe that can be role models of
leadership? How Many governors in the Niger Delta are role models of
leadership? Tell me. There is no evidence statistically that any part of this
country has produced good leaders. You talk about Babangida and the economy.
Who were the people incharge of the
 economy during Babangida era? Olu Falae, Kalu Idika Kalu. What state are they
from in theNorth? “We started the banking reform; the first thing I heard was
that in Urobo land, that there will be a curse of the ancestors. I said they
(ancestors) would not answer. They said why? I said how many factories did Ibru
build in Urobo land? So, why will the ancestors of the Urobo people support
her?“We talk ethnicity when it pleases us. It is hypocrisy. You said elections
were rigged in 1959, Obasanjo andMaurice Iwu rigged election in 2007. Was it a
Southern thing? It was not. “The problem is: everywhere in thiscountry, there
is one Hausa, Ibo, Yoruba and Itshekiri man whose concern is how to get his
hands on thepile and how much he can steal. Whether it is in the military or in
the civilian government, they sit down, they eat together. In fact, the
constitution says there must be a minister from every state.“So, anybody that
is still preaching that the
 problem of Nigeria is Yoruba or Hausa or Fulani, he does not loveNigeria . The
problem with Nigeria is that a group of people from each and every ethnic tribe
is very selfish. The poverty that is found in Maiduguri is even worse than any
poverty that you find in any part of the South.The British came for 60 years
and Sir Ajayi talked about few numbers of graduates in the North (two
atindependence) . What he did not say was that there was a documented policy of
the British when they camethat the Northerner should not be educated. It was
documented. It was British colonial policy. I have thedocument. I have
published articles on it. That if you educate the Northerner you will produce
progressive Muslim intellectuals of the type we have in Egypt and India. So, do
not educate them. It was documented. And you say they love us (North).“I have
spent the better part of my life to fight and Dr. (Reuben) Abati knows me. Yes,
my grandfather was an Emir. Why was
 I in the pro- democracy movement fighting for June 12? Is (Moshood) Abiola
from Kano ? Why am I a founding director of the Kudirat Initiative for Nigerian
Development (KIND)?“There are good Yoruba people, good Igbo people, good Fulani
people, good Nigerians and there are bad people everywhere. That is the truth.
“Stop talking about dividing Nigeria because we are not the most populous
country in the world. We have all the resources that make it easy to make one
united great Nigeria . It is better if we are united than to divide it. “Every
time you talk about division, when you restructure, do you know what will
happen? In Delta Area, the people in Warri will say Agbor, you don’t have oil.
When was the Niger Delta constructed as a political entity? Ten years ago, the
Itshekiris were fighting the Urobos. Isn’t thatwhat was happening? Now they
have become Niger Delta because they have found oil. After, it will be, if you
do not have oil in your
 village then you cannot share our resources. “There is no country in the world
where resources are found in everybody’s hamlet. But people have leaders and
they said if you have this geography and if we are one state, then we have a
responsibility for making sure that the people who belong to this country have
a good nature.“So, why don’t you talk about; we don’t have infrastructure, we
don’t have education, we don’t have health. We are still talking about Fulani.
Is it the Fulani cattle rearer or is anybody saying there is no poverty among
theFulani?”, he said. This is a great message to our generation. Are we truly
ready to develop and unite Nigeria?

This happened at a book launch of recent. Please do not bother debating on the
messenger but rather the message. IS IT NOT TRUE?

Ajiboye Babatunde ACA
MB 18976

Sent from my BlackBerry® Smartphone, from Etisalat. Enjoy high speed internet
service with Etisalat easy net, available at all our experience centres