On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:09:43 -0400, Anthony wrote:

> When I lived in New Jersey it was the same way, and I'd imagine it's the
> same way in most of the United States.

I'd say more research is needed before we call that conclusive.  At least
in Oregon and Washington, street boundaries often extend beyond the
street for service access and future expansion reasons (plus the local
governments don't deem it particularly fair to tax folks for property
extending into the street, preferring to condemn the protruding portions).

I wonder if it's a western/eastern thing, with county surveyors being a
tad on the overwhelmed side back east.