> From: Toby Murray [mailto:toby.mur...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: [josm-dev] Is the "should upload" logic a little too eager?
>
> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> >
> > On exit, JOSM offers to save data to disk when it's modified, and this
> > is of course totally fine.  It also offers to upload, and I find this
> > to be useful sometimes and sometimes troublesome, in two unrelated
> ways.
> >
> > * inspection of not-yet-uploaded data case
> >
> > Suppose one has a .osm file that's proposed for import, and is
> > reviewing it.  It seemed natural to open it in josm, and look at it in
> > a layer with the existing data in another layer, and imagery.  Then,
> > after deciding what I thought, I exited JOSM.  But, JOSM offered to
> > upload the new data.  I of course clicked "no, exit anyway", but it
> > seems that this prompt could lead to unintended uploads.
>
> I would strongly advise putting the upload=false flag in any proposed
> import file until the moment you are ready to actually upload it. This
> will help prevent you or someone else who is reviewing the file from
> doing an accidental upload. ogr2osm sets this flag by default. Other
> conversion tools should if they aren't already.

I believe in some cases it will still prompt the dialog but then when you
tell it to upload it suggests that you don't.

I've been meaning to run down all the weird cases where JOSM suggests
uploading when it shouldn't but haven't had the time.

But yes, upload=false is a *very* good idea for files you don't want to
accidentally upload.