On Tue, 5 Feb 2013, Matt Hoover wrote:

I'm relatively new here, so perhaps I've missed discussion on this in the
past, but is there any reason not to include a Google Maps tile source
class option in JMapViewer?  I'm developing a separate app using JMapViewer
and would like to have a Google Maps layer option.  I can put it straight
in my app if I need to, but it would seem smarter to put it in JMV so
others can benefit, plus it is a more logical place for it.

I am not great at reading legalese, but the Google terms seem to permit
this as long as my attribution link goes to the actual location currently
in the map panel, using the system's browser and Google maps website:

https://developers.google.com/maps/terms - see 10.1.1 (h) (ii)

Of course if I create this class in JMapViewer it will not immediately
affect JOSM or any other using app in any way, unless those apps actually
choose to instantiate the class.  But I still don't want to do this without
knowing it is cool with the community.

Two reasons not to do so:

a) The TemplatedTMSTileSource can create a GoogleMap page without any trouble. There is no need for a special source class to support it.

b) We don't encourage usage of tile sources not usable within the OSM data creation process. Users tend to ignore rules if it is to easy to break them.

Ciao