On Sat, 25 Feb 2017, Pierre Béland wrote:

Smarthphones did provide us access to all of Haiti on OSMAnnd or Maps.Me. Our team was able to store tracks and waypoints on our phones. We did also use Mapillary and ODK tools. But at the end of the day, we could not edit the data in JOSM, bringing in these various infos to compare with the OSM map as a background. This, even if I tried previously to cache OSM tiles for the area, I did not have access to these tiles while in the field with no internet access. A cache could be a solution. A better solution is to Add an Offline OSM Vector map plugin to JOSM. This would be a great enhancement for OSM contributors that experience difficulty to access data online.

I don't understand what you request at all.

- JOSM has tile caches which usually are small, but you can increase size
- JOSM is an vector map editor - its main task is to display vector data
- JOSM can load stored offline data files in XML and also PBF format

Everything already there.

OBF support could be included in a plugin, but I don't see much sense to support a storage format of a single application.

Ciao