On Fri, 11 May 2018, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

BSD     ~  0%
Mac     ~  8%
Linux   ~ 27%
Windows ~ 65%

Thank you. For comparison, these are numbers for market share and the
difference to JOSM (April 2018) [1]:

BSD 0%  (the same, either they are very niche or they are in the 2,45%
unknown and use an OS that effectively protects them from revealing their OS)
OSX 13,2% JOSM has 40% less OSX users compared to their supposed market
share Linux 1,7% JOSM has 1588% of Linux users ...
Win 81,7% JOSM has 20% less Win users

these are alternative numbers [2]

BSD 0.01 %
OSX 8,7%  -> -8%
Linux 2,3 % -> 1174%
Windows 88,6 % -> -27%

These numbers had always a systematic bias towards Windows. They are a sales marketshare and not a realistic representation of OS usage. E.g. all my private and nearly all the company computers I bought are counted as Windows systems, but they all operate under Linux. Only for embedded or industrial systems and servers it actually makes sense to buy a system without preinstalled Windows. But even these are probably not counted as Linux systems.

So probably JOSM's numbers are simply more realistic. That MacOS numbers are similar is a good indicator for that assumption.

Ciao