Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> writes:

> I can understand that if I load Ilya's geochat plugin it will phone home
> to Ilya's server, or if I enable certain imagery layers they will load
> data from the imagery server. Also it is clear that JOSM will access the
> OSM and JOSM servers. But I think that we should not add random third
> party web sites that are under control of neither OSMF nor the JOSM team
> to the mix without explaining this to the user and asking for their consent.

Agreed that this is the right expectations.

There's an interesting issue with third-party imagery and map layers,
which is how users know their privacy policies, such as what records
they keep of which IP addresses looked at which areas, and if this is
diclosed, etc.  It would be good to have a standardized access point for
these (that one can discover from a tile URL), and to have these links
assocatied with the tile layer definition.

The next  step would be some standard semantics or simply human
evaluation of whether the tile provider commits to nondisclosure,
non-use and/or non-retention.