jQuery JavaScript Library v1.3.2
jQuery validation plug-in 1.5.5

I'm working on a form with a bunch of fields with MaxLength
validators.
When a field with contents are erased the jquery.validate element
function kicks in, sees one validator (for max length), which, when
evaluated returns "dependency-mismatch", that results in an undefined
result, that then causes the field to be flagged as invalid, but with
no explanation as to why it is invalid.

This code in "element: function(element)" seems to be the problem:
                var result = this.check(element);
                 if (result) {
                     delete this.invalid[element.name];
                 } else {
                     this.invalid[element.name] = true;

Because, if result isn't true the element gets added to the list of
invalid elements.

I have a local work around which seems reasonable to me:
                var result = this.check(element);
                if (result !== undefined) {
                    if (result) {
                        delete this.invalid[element.name];