Awesome Brandon!!

Those are PRECISELY the sorts of things I'm looking to learn.

andy

-----Original Message-----
From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Brandon Aaron
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:50 AM
To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
Subject: [jQuery] Re: UPDATE: code review, suggestions for condensing /
reuse?

First off, this is functioning much better than before. Good work.

In the click handler you bind to the h1 you have a few areas where you could
optimize your code.

First you declare a var named outerchild like this:
var outerid = $(this).parent().attr("id"); var outerchild = $('#' + outerid
+ '-details');

Then later you use outerchild again but you wrap it in another jQuery
object.

$(outerchild)

This isn't necessary and I often times name my jQuery object vars with a $
to remind me it is the jQuery object and not just the DOM node.

var outerid = $(this).parent().attr("id"); var $outerchild = $('#' + outerid
+ '-details');

Now you can just use $outerchild.attr(...).

Moving on ... there is a handy method called is that lets you test if the
object is something. So lets look at this particular if statement and see
how it can be written using the is method.

As you have it now:
if ($(outerchild).attr("class").indexOf('outeropen') == -1) {

Using the is method:
if ( !$outerchild.is('.outeropen') ) {

Or you could also use the ':hidden' selector like this:
if ( $outerchild.is(':hidden') ) {

Hope that helps optimize the code a little. :)

--
Brandon Aaron