Well, it looks like I'm making progress...

I needed to change

if ( isNaN ( parseInt ( value.replace ( /[\$\,\.]/, "" ))))

if ( isNaN ( value.replace ( /[\$\,\.]/, "" )))

because I don't want to parse what's left.  If there's anything
besides digits, dollar signs, commas, and periods in the input,
I want an error to be thrown.

However, the problem I have now is the variations on the input
that should pass validation...

Here are some examples:

$255900 passes as a valid entry.
$255,900        does not pass and I want it to.
$255,900.       does not pass and I want it to.
$255,900.00     does not pass and I want it to.

But why?

The statement if ( isNaN ( value.replace (/[\$\,\.]/, "" )))
is stating that "if all dollar signs, commas, and periods are taken out
of the input entry, and the input is not a number"... right?

Rick