To access a form element by name:

$('[EMAIL PROTECTED])

-----Original Message-----
From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of cliff
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:52 AM
To: jQuery (English)
Subject: [jQuery] Conventional JS/DOM to jQuery conversion help

I am new to jQuery and have several questions:

1. To access a form element, I use: document.forms[frmname] [elementname]
          What is the jQuery equivalent?
          Will there be any significant speed difference between the old and
jQuery way?

2. This is basically the same as #1. I am getting the hang of accessing
elements by id using $("#elementid"), but how do I access form elements by
name so I can avoid using ids.

3. I want to strip error messages after an input element -- essentially just
stripping DOM siblings after the input element. See function below:

function removeNextSiblings(elementid) {
        var element = document.getElementById(elementid);
        var parent = element.parentNode;
        while (parent.lastChild) {
                if (parent.lastChild == element)
                        break;
        parent.removeChild(parent.lastChild);

Is there a shorter jQuery way to do this function. Ideally, it could start
with a reference to the source element object instead of an elementid so I
can avoid the use of ids in form elements.

And of course, what's the advantage to the jQuery way? Less code?
Slickers?
Cliff