On Friday, May 25, 2007 9:50 AM Jörn Zaefferer <> said:

> Masked-input gives you visual hints of the expected input and its very
> easy to learn that you don't have to enter any delimiters.

See Steve Krug's book called "Don't Make Me Think". The less learning a user
does, the better.

>> * Even though "clientside validation is all about usability" many
>> people don't understand this and still use it as a security measure.
>>
> Right, but should we prohibit cars just because people die in car
> accidents?

Of course we should! And let's dry up all the water because people drown too.

No but seriously, part way through my post I conceded that if it's used for
usability purposes, client-side validation is not a problem. But if someone
thinks that it's a security measure, they are mistaken.

Until I see that it's more common for people to use client-side validation as a
usability tool I'll probably always bring up the fact that it can not be used
as a security measure.

Chris.