I'm considering adding the ability to generate a table on the fly from
a JSON recordset, but only if there is some interest in that.

I only use a button on the demo so you can see how fast it works.  I
normally use the document.ready function to parse as soon as the DOM
is ready.  In your case, I don't see why there would be a problem with
this - since you have tablefilter in a callback, it won't try to parse
until the load is done.  Can you point me at a demo page so I can see
what's happening?