Ben,

I don't have an online demo that anyone can view.

I could have been a little clearer. "MenuLists" was just a non-sense
name I came up with for the post that was supposed to represent what
was sent back from the server which is "the rest of the list
elements". It's being returned as a string of HTML. I could have just
as easily said,

.empty().append(the_HTML_string_returned_from_my_ajax_call_goes_here);

Yes. I'm sure it's passing back what I want.

Are you even familiar with the jdMenu plug-in?