Thanks for the info...

My idea would have been more like SourceForge.

Subscribers (or donors would work) would get access to the
central repository where all the work was done for you for
plug-in testing with various core versions, various "MyJQuery"
bundles of cores and plug-ins, etc.  "Added-value" kind of stuff.

Those who didn't want to or couldn't donate/subscribe could still
find everything they needed, like we do now, and would still have
to do their own testing, or find out about testing results on the
various plug-in sites.

I know John desires to keep it all free, and that's a good ideal,
but I would pay to have someone do all the testing and gathering
of metadata, etc., for me.

Like right now I have an issue that strikes to the heart of this
matter.

I'm working on a site and I used the jQuery core back from Mar 7, 2007
along with Jorn's validation plug-in.  Works fine.

Now, however, I'm adding Karl's ClueTip plug-in to the site, which
was demoed with a later version of the core.

I would have liked to have been able to consult metadata on the two
plug-ins and the two core versions and find out if everything was
compatible.

I just decided to take a chance and use Karl's ClueTip plug-in with
the older core.  It does work.

However, this instance is not a big deal, because the site is not
in production, yet.  If I had been adding the ClueTip plug-in to a
live site, I would have had to go through testing first.

I would gladly donate or subscribe to a service that would allow me
to enter the plug-in versions and core version that I want to use
together and the service tell me of any problems I might encounter and
offer a solution as far as upgrades needed.

That would save a lot of time, and therefore, money on my end.

Being generous and giving away everything is nice, but there are times
when a little extra money to pay the power bill comes in handy.  :o)

Rick