I guess the timeout just means it will stop trying to complete the
request. I've never actually tried to use it. To get an alert like you
want, you might try using your own timer (untested):

var ajax_timeout;
$.ajax({
  ...,
  beforeSend: function() {
    ajax_timeout = setTimeout(function() {
      alert('Request is taking a long time.');
    }, 5000);
  },
  success: function() {
    if(ajax_timeout) {