In testing Chistoph's code, I encountered a separate but possibly
related issue:  serialize() and serializeArray() are returning things
I did not expect for multiple selects.  For the following form:

<form id="mydForm">
        <select id="myd" name="myd" multiple>
                <option value="black">Black</option>
                <option value="blue" selected>Blue</option>
        </select>
</form>

Calling  $('form#mydForm').serialize() returns:

"myd=0"

Am I doing something wrong as well (besides my old-timey no-value
"multiple" and "selected" attributes--though proper XHMTL gives the
same result), or should this be posted to -dev as a bug?

Pyro