Well, you're right that it works for the usual fonts.

I hadn't noticed that because my interest in having such a test
derives from the desire to detect if users have the necessary fonts
installed to display MathML in documents served as

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd";>

So I'm testing for the presence of the Mathematica 4.1 fonts (Math1,
Math2, etc) and the CM fonts (cmsy10, cmr10, etc). The span-width test
works fine on Internet Explorer 6 and 7, but not on Firefox. In fact,
on Firefox 2.0.0.7 (with its built-in MathML capability), those fonts
appear to have been hijacked out of the public realm. I can't assign
any of them via CSS and have things display as expected on Firefox.
For example,

displays on Firefox using the default paragraph font. I'd never
noticed that before.

So I guess this is out of the jQuery domain now. I'll have to
investigate what's going on with Firefox and the MathML fonts.

Thanks for your assistance, though.

Ed Martin