I've bugged it here: http://jquery.com/plugins/node/787 and here:
http://dev.jquery.com/ticket/1870 but I'm wondering if any one has any
ideas for a workaround (other than switching browsers
unfortunately) .  Basically, in IE6 the width() on a select box (or
it's surrounding div/span) is not updated when wide options are added
to the select.  It works great in Firefox, but that doesn't help me
too much.

The basic problem is this.  I have a row of select boxes that need to
be of minimum widths (ie. no defined width). Then at the end of this
row there is a "subtotal" column, all of which works fine.  Except
that below these rows I'd like to have a total column that is aligned
with the subtotal columns.

All of this would be trivial of course if I used tables, but for
various reasons the layout must remain div based.  Any suggestions?