@ Josh, Dave - thanks for pointing out that I had missed the 2nd function.
Dave, thanks also for pointing out the disabling of the status bar stuff.  I
hadn't paid attention to that before.  Kinda makes what I was trying to do
pointless, which is always good to know before one spends hours and hours
trying something.  ;-)

@ Alexx - that is an excellent suggestion, but not quite applicable to what
I was attempting to accomplish in this particular example.  I'm not actually
tracking the clicks locally, but was making a stab at masking (from the
casual user) the fact that they're affiliate links.  But were I actually
tracking them, I'd definitely use your strategy.

Thanks to all.  The jQuery list rocks!  :-)