But you brought up semantics, to which the <label> makes way more
sense in that way in this situation

The error message is a label for the control (and clicking on it
because of the "for" parameter) sets focus on said control

Personally i think your premise of screen readers getting confused is
not a valid one, but it's not my app  :-)