Seems like everything you need is right here:
http://docs.jquery.com/Plugins/Validation#Error_messages

QUOTE:
Error messages
An error message displays a hint for the user about invalid elements,
and what is wrong. There are three ways to provide error messages. Via
the title attribute of the input element to validate, via error labels
and via plugin settings (option messages).