I have had so many problems of similar sort with select's that I
finally gave up and now I just use a library to generate a select box
that's got only DIV tags. That way I can have multi-line items,
tooltips, fading, etc...

death to select input form tag :P

especially I see google using similar technigues everywhere in their
apps - yahoo as well.

did I say 'death to select input form tag' ?