Hi Reuben,

Superfish doesn't support closing animations. I tried it a while ago
but experienced too many glitches caused when mousing back over a
submenu that is in the process of closing. There has been some
interest in getting this working recently, so hopefully I'll get to it
some day.

Stan Lemon recently sent me a patch which attempts to add closing
animations. I'll list it here incase you want to experiment with it,
but I have not tried it at all:

hideSuperfishUl : function(){
        var o = $.superfish.op,
                $ul = $('li.'+o.hoverClass,this).add(this)
                        .find('>ul').animate(o.animationClose, o.speed,
function() {
                        $(this).css('visibility','hidden');
                        $ul.removeClass(o.hoverClass);
                });
        return this;
},

You would also need to add animationClose to the options object.

Joel Birch.