Hi,

When a text box has the focus, I would like it to keep the focus even
when another element type (not another text box) is clicked. eg after
clicking this other element type, the user can press a key(s) and the
text box will accept this key input without the user having to click
back into the text box.
Hope this makes sense.

Karl gave me some info. the other day and I was pretty sure I would be
able to fine-tune it for my app. but the best I could come up with
is :

$(document).ready(function()
{
  $(':text').blur(function(event)
  {
      if (!$(event.target).is(':text'))
      { $(this).focus() }

Thanks for any help
Paul

Here is the full code :

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/
TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<head>

<title></title>
charset=ISO-8859-1">

      input { width : 700px ; }

 <script type = "text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>
 <script type = "text/javascript">

$(document).ready(function()
{
  $(':text').blur(function(event)
  {
      if (!$(event.target).is(':text'))
      { $(this).focus() }

 </script>

</head>

<ul>
<li>click here</li>
<li>or click here</li>
</ul>

<form>

 <input type='text' class='test' value='these text boxes should retain
the focus when another element type is clicked'> <br><br>
 <input type='text' value='these text boxes should retain the focus
when another element type is clicked'> <br><br>
 <input type='text'   value='these text boxes should retain the focus
when another element type is clicked' id='focusHere'> <br>

</form>