I am using this technique for the onload problem specified here:

http://blog.outofhanwell.com/2006/06/08/the-windowonload-problem-revisited/

I have an script element defined like this:

 <script defer src="/js/ie_onload.js"></script>

 The script file simply calls an method called init.

 In the init method I am making an ajax call like this:

    $.ajax({type: "POST", url: urlToCall, data: postData, success:
successCallBack,
                    complete: function(){
                          stopWorking();
                          $('#working').hide();
                        },
                        beforeSend: function(xhr){
                            xhr.setRequestHeader("UseAjaxError",
"true");
                          },
                        timeout: _ajaxTimeOut,
                        error: errorFunction
             });

In the callback I am setting a div's innerHtml like this:

$('#thedata').html(data);

It works fine in IE7 but in IE6 all the images that are retrieved are
loaded sequentially and very slowly.

The status bar reads "items remaining (192)" and slowly counts down as
each image is loaded.

Has anyone experienced this and knows of a fix?