offsetLeft and offsetTop are properties of a DOM element, not a jQuery
object.

A jQuery object does have an offset() method which returns an object
containing left and top properties, e.g.

var offset = jQuery("a").eq(index).offset();
var e_ox = offset.left;
var e_oy = offset.top;

Note that these are relative to the *viewport* - not the same values you'd
get from the offsetLeft and offsetTop properties. If you want those, you can
can get them directly from the DOM element:

var element = jQuery("a")[index];
var e_ox = element.offsetLeft;
var e_oy = element.offsetTop;

-Mike