I think I figured this out.  I needed to unbind the click event each
time a new link is clicked, so:

$("a.test").click(function() {
   var location = $(this).attr("rel");
      $("#test2").unbind('click');
      $("#test2").click(function() {
      var answer = confirm("Are you sure you want to delete this
asset?");
          if (answer) { $("#textTest").text(location); }

It seems to work how I want, is this the best method?