Has anyone seen any good documentation on how the keyboard selection works
for the <select /> element in the various browsers. It looks like the
behavior is pretty different in each browser.

Firefox and IE7 allow variations of doing "ba" to select the first option
with a string starting with "ba", however the actual implementation differs
(and quite frankly confusing.) IE6 only allows you to toggle through the
first letter. So press "b" and then "a" would go to the first option
starting with "b" and then go to the first option starting with "a".

I've been trying to find any documentation, preferable something really
indepth.

We've had some customers ask for use to replicate this behavior in a
plug-in, but since the behavior is so different in all the browsers I'm
trying to really fully understand how each method works before I make
recommendations.

-Dan