Hi,

we're running a recently launched website ( http://www.smashdown.net).
We're using AJAX requests (in JSON) to communicate with our servers.

A couple of customers complained about that some functionalities on
our website are not working. We've found out that some AJAX requests
does simply timeout (because they're not send to our servers).

We further found out that this only occurs to a couple of customers.
Now we've been able to track down the problem. There is a customer
using Alice DSL (a german internet provider). This customer uses a D-
Link WLAN router to connect to the internet.

If this customer is sending the AJAX request, it will not processed
( in fact, the request is not sent to our server). When this customer
does not using the D-Link router (by connecting his computer directly
to the DSL modem), everything works.

We visited the customer at home :-) and tried to change each possible
setting on the router. When we've changed the MTU value from 1492 to
1452 (as suggested by his internet provider). Now.... everything
works. :-) This happened on a Mac Book (Firefox & Safari ) and Linux
(Firefox).

My question is if anybody else encountered similar problems when using
AJAX. Of course, it seems to be a problem of the customer, if he is
using the wrong MTU.

BUT: It's not very easy to tell our customers that they should use the
right MTU, because all other common websites are working with this MTU
(they are thinking their internet is working, of course).

For a quick and dirty fix we could use a hidden iframe instead of AJAX
request. But that's not really a good solutions.

Maybe some of you had similar problems like this? I know, that this is
not a jQuery issue, but I think this is a good place to ask other
developers using AJAX if they had similar problems (and maybe found a
good solution for this)?

Greetings
Christian