My mistake, it is working. The problem was my lack of understanding
about how Dialog works.  main is the div from which I create a Dialog
and I didn't want the event listener to be added to the elements of
main. However main is NOT the first element of the Dialog. I the
background it is wrapped around other elements and the top one has
class .ui-dialog  . All sorted. Thanks .