Answered my own question:

* Yes, the Ajax function was still running, even though its results
were not being published,
* I stopped that with a conditional ...

if( $( '#xmlContent' ).find( 'object' ) )
{
        cycle_content ();
};

Actually the Cycle loads quicker than the Flash, so I'm using it
instead!

I'd still like to know what vars can be returned from SWFObject for
this purpose, though, if anybody has that info ...

C.