your question isn't very clear . If you are trying to select based on what is inside the div these should help:

$("div:contains("Some Text")).// do something
or
$("div:has(li[class=something])").// do something

http://docs.jquery.com/Selectors

need to be more specific what you are trying to do. The way your question is written " $("plan"). //do something " would work

gostbuster wrote:
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate some help with what I wanna do.

I explain my problem :

I want to do a map-like: It means a div with background images, and
some elements on it (a bit like in google map : you have the map in
background, and stuff you can click over it.

well i have this code :

   <ul>
  </ul>

I would like to select #plan but NOT the li element inside.

I tried some stuff but didn't succeed.

I'm sure experts from here will solve this problem in less in a
second.

Thank you VERY MUCH in advance.