google maps  function resizeMap();

donb wrote:
A Google map will not render itself property if the dimensions of the
map container are not defined at the time the map initializes.  And a
'display:none' container will have zero height and width.

Perhaps you can load the map off the side of the screen where it can't
be seen, but where it can have the correct dimensions.  Then move it
to the desired screen location.