My current employer (Giva, Inc) has released another jQuery plug-in today called the Marquee jQuery Plug-in. The jQuery Marquee plug-in converts a list element (<ul /> or <ol />) into an ESPN-style scrolling marquee. Messages are scrolled in from top or bottom (based on the yScroll option) and longer messages will then ticker to the left in order to show the full message.

While there are a number of ticker/marquee style plug-ins, nothing did exactly what I needed. I really wanted something that would scroll up/down new messages, but would then ticker messages that didn't fit on the screen.

In our SaaS application, our customers wanted a place at the top of the screen where they could put important notices to their clients, and they seem to be very happy with the effects we use in this plug-in.

The Marquee jQuery Plug-in has an example you can look at or you can see several different marquees in different configurations at:
http://www.givainc.com/labs/marquee_example.htm

Marquee Plug-in:
http://www.givainc.com/labs/marquee_jquery_plugin.htm

Marquee jQuery Project Page: