i did try ealer to send a reply but that did not seem to apper so
heres a shorter version

http://docs.jquery.com/Ajax has everything you need, to make a loading
image come up on start you can just ether in your click function
inlude $(".loading").show(); or use the event
http://docs.jquery.com/Ajax/ajaxStart#callback
then use the stop http://docs.jquery.com/Ajax/ajaxStop#callback

then its just a $.post(url,data,callback) i normally do my data in a
{} so {peram1 : 'test'} etc ending up with somthing like $.post
('example.php',{peram1 : 'test'},function(data){ alert('hello')});