Try setting the width of a non-floated element that has display: inline with CSS and see what you get. I haven't been able to change the width of a non-floated, inline element with CSS, so I don't imagine it can be done with JavaScript either.

waseem's suggestion is probably your best bet.

--Karl

Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com