I didn't know about this kludge, could be seriously useful ... thank
you. IE will kill my health soon, I know - how development would be
cheaper if I could avoid wrestling with ie6,7 and 8 bug generators ...

Apparently, the problem is due to a nasty combination of div nesting
and css, by changing the layout a bit to have less absolute positioned
elements I was able to make IE8 happy again. There's probably some
rule behind this, like those funny bugs in IE6.