If you don't mind removing them, as opposed to just hiding them, you could do this:

$('.topMenu > li > ul > li').each(function() {
  this.removeChild(this.firstChild);
});

--Karl

____________
Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com

On Oct 30, 2009, at 12:23 PM, hroyale wrote:

Hi,
I have a set of nested ULs that is generated for me. I want to use it
to create a drop-down navigation menu, however I don't want to use the
values in the second level of ULs in the navigation.

It looks something like this:

<ul class="topMenu">
   <li>home</li>
   <li>community
       <ul>
           <li>awards (not a link)
                   <ul>
                       <li>award type 1</li>
                       <li>award type 2</li>
                   </ul>
           <li>discussions (not a link)
                   <ul>
                       <li>discussion 1
                          <ul>
                               <li>more info</li>
                           </ul>
                       </li>
                   </ul>
           </li>
       </ul>
    </li>
   <li>news and events
       <ul>
           <li>news (not a link)
               <ul>
                   <li>press coverage</li>
                   <li>press releases</li>
                   <li>announcements</li>
               </ul>
           </li>
           <li>events (not a link)
               <ul>
                   <li>conferences</li>
               </ul>
           </li>
       </ul>
 </li>
</ul>

Level one is visible as sort of tabs, and then mousing over should
reveal a list of the next level of links. However, I would like to use
the above list and mouse over  "community" and see a list of links
award type 1
award type 2
discussion 1

rather than

awards
discussions

Or another option would be to combine levels 2 and 3 so I would see

awards
award type 1
award type 2
discussions
discussion1

and then mousing over discussion 1 would reveal the more info link.

Please don't send me code to do the drop-down menus. I have a ton of
those. I'm only looking for help dealing with the nested UL that I
want to skip over.

Thanks,
Heather