In that case, I'd use something like the Cycle plugin.
http://malsup.com/jquery/cycle/

This works on a set of multiple sibling elements, so it isn't exactly what you're looking for. But if you have a single element that you want to achieve this effect on, I'd do this:
1. wrap the element in a div.
2. clone the element and append it to the wrapper div.
3. repeat #2 as needed
4. call .cycle() on the wrapper div.

--Karl

Karl Swedberg